Construction site security is a more responsible position than many people realize. Some of the responsibilities may include: regular perimeter patrols, loss prevention, monitoring equipment, alarm response, traffic control, access control, and more. It is necessary to have a professional security team in place to ensure that the construction is running smoothly.
We take construction site security very seriously. Every site is unique and we treat them as such. Prior to commencing work at the site, we meet with the construction foreman in order to learn the site, identify all the requirements and develop site-specific Post Orders. Post Orders will include all procedures that have to be followed, equipment that is required for the site, emergency procedures, access control procedures, and any other relevant site information.
No procedures, however, matter without proper training. We ensure that all employees are trained on site for the site-specific procedures, emergencies, and requirements. Previous experience does not help if an employee does not know the rules of the site he or she is working at. Below are some of the items included in training:
1. Areas that have to be patrolled and the required frequency of the patrols.
2. Camera monitoring.
3. Hazards around the site.
4. Areas of the site where materials and/or equipment that can be potential targets for theft are located.
5. Access control. Guards will learn how to identify if someone trying to gain access to the site is authorized to do so.
6. Guards will learn the site emergency protocol, including dealing with various possible injuries that may happen at the site.
7. Traffic control procedures, if part of the security guard’s duties. It is important for the efficiency and safety of oneself and others that whoever is directing traffic is appropriately trained.
In addition to security guard selection and training, we place a big emphasis on management support and supervision. We conduct regular site Quality Checks to ensure that the employees are alert and performing their duties diligently. This is especially important during night shifts. Our Quality Checks, however, are not only to check on our employees, but also to support and mentor them, build relationship and trust.
Another way we supervise our employees, is through our industry-leading patrol-tracking systems installed at no cost to the client. Patrol tracking systems help ensure that the required areas are patrolled with the required frequency. The client will be able to view and/or print detailed reports on the patrol completion.